What’s in a name 1

Travelling with your own child that has a different surname than yourself is something that I had not considered until I read a post on a travel forum.  It’s quite odd that I had not considered this as:

  1. My experience working at the airport and
  2. The fact my own son has a different surname than I do.

How could I have been so ignorant?

So now that I have been somewhat enlightened I set off to find exactly what I should be doing.

This information was not easy to find.  Having found no information on the Australian passport and customs websites, I tried the Smart Traveller website – success!

Proof child can travel

Proof of your child’s identity

Their advice is to take copies of:

  • documentation or letter from the absent parent authorising you to take your child
  • separation, divorce or custody decree papers
  • court order granting guardianship of the child
  • birth certificates.

Whilst not all of these items pertain to my situation as I travel with my son’s father I am now more aware that I should be taking more documents just in case some smart customs officer asks “where are the documents from the mother authorising travel?”

About Sally-Ann Brown

I am Sally-Ann the author of Toddlers on Tour. I am a wife and mother who has always had a passion for travel. I love sharing my experiences and lessons learned to help you have a better family holiday or day trip. Read "All About Me" under the "Home" tab to discover my story and what lead me to here.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

twelve − three =