Whilst travelling with a disabled child adds another degree of concern it is still possible to travel with a special needs child.
Air travel with special needs child
- When booking flights make sure you request assistance for the airport with your booking.
- If you have a wheelchair it will be checked in with your luggage and you will be offered an airport wheelchair.
- If you have an electronic wheelchair check with the individual airline regarding carriage of the chair – sometimes the battery can be an issue.
- You may need to consider hiring an electric wheelchair at your destination
- If you have a seeing eye dog speak to the airline about requirements.
- If taking your medication on-board the flight pack it in 100ml bottles in clear plastic bags and take copies of the script.
- Take out travel insurance and declare any special needs goods. Read the fine print.
- Allow extra time.
Booking accommodation for disabilities
- Many types of accommodation are disability friendly with ramps and support bars in bathrooms. You will just need to do a bit more research, check the accommodations website.
- Remember to make your disability request with your booking.
- State exactly what your requirements are and why you need them.
- Request a confirmation email, though most hotels will respond.
Cruising with disabilities
- Cruise ships also have facilities for disabilities, again just do your research and make your request.
- I have come across these 2 articles that may help with booking your cruise with disabilities.
Travel insurance for disabled child
As far as I am concerned travel insurance is must when you travel regardless of how fit and healthy you are. However if you have a special needs child ensure your child and all equipment is covered in the policy you choose.
- Read all the fine print to ensure your insurer will cover all your family.
- Disclose the who has the disability and the type of disability.
- Disclose any special needs equipment.
Helpful sites for travel with disabled
- There are several websites available to help plan your holiday.