If you are about to embark on travel with kids you are probably in a quandary as to what to pack for your baby, toddler or child.
Start with thinking about:
- What you use at home?
- What your child likes?
- How long are you travelling?
- How much should you take?
- For me if I am travelling only for a week or two I take everything I should need for that time frame. I do not want those precious few weeks chewed up with trying to locate baby food or necessities.
- However, if you are travelling for a longer period of time, just take enough to get you started – it is physically impossible to carry all that you need.
Depending on the age of your children some of these items may not be applicable.
Essential Packing Lists for Babies and Toddlers
This page by Toddlers on Tour contains affiliate links*. This means I may receive a small commission if you click on these links, but at NO extra cost to you.
Getting About with Babies and Toddlers
- Infant carrier
- Car Seat
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B007G5FZG6″ locale=”US” tag=”allyann232-20″]Porta Cot[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B014EC6AVW” locale=”US” tag=”allyann232-20″]Seat backpack[/easyazon_link].
- Consider how much these items weigh and how much space they take up.
- It may be worth hiring some or all of these items on arrival.
- There are several online companies that may meet your requirements.
- Check out my article on Car Seats and Travelling – Help to get you started.
Essentials for Babies and Toddlers
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B00QSTB3JE” locale=”US” tag=”allyann232-20″]Nappy Sacks[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B00NQF571S” locale=”US” tag=”allyann232-20″]Disposable change mats[/easyazon_link]
- Nappy rash cream.
- Consider the length of the holiday.
- Again consider how much the nappies etc weigh and how much space they will take up.
- It may be worth buying a top up of these items once you arrive. There are also services available that can supply baby items and deliver to your accommodation for your arrival.
- Toiletries (find items applicable to your child’s age).
- Medical and first aid items (find items applicable to your child’s age).
- Clothing: plus shoes and socks, and a small amount of laundry detergent (that you can dispense into a travel container).
- Swimming items: hat, sunscreen, bathing costume, and swim nappies.
- Snuggle friend – DO NOT FORGET!
Food for Babies and Toddlers
- Baby food
- Plastic spoons
- Formula (if you are not breastfeeding)
- You may like to purchase for your toddler as well if you are travelling to a third world country and are not confident on the quality of milk.
- Milk tastes different in different countries and your child may not like the taste.
- Formula also has added vitamins which may help if you have a fussy eater who will only eat hot chips (like mine)
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B019YJRYKG” locale=”US” tag=”allyann232-20″]Bottlebrush[/easyazon_link]
- Dishwashing liquid.
- You can dispense a small amount in a [easyazon_link identifier=”B00WO69JOQ” locale=”US” tag=”allyann232-20″]travel container[/easyazon_link].
Packing List for Bigger Kids
Don’t forget your bigger preschooler and school-age kids need special attention too.
- Water bottle
- Preferred snacks (dried fruit, small cans of tinned fruit, biscuits, crackers, muesli bars).
- Choose items your child will eat.
- I like to buy the individually packed snack versions
- Mini toiletries (now available in most supermarkets, department stores, or online).
- If you can’t find a mini version of your favourite product by a pack of empty small containers (found in the toiletry aisle) and fill.
- First aid kit including; band-aids, antiseptic cream, paracetamol, teething relief, sunscreen, insect repellent (all these applicable to your child’s age).
- Swimming items: hat, sunscreen and bathing costume.
- Clothing: shoes, socks, underwear and a small amount of laundry detergent (when has a child ever stayed clean).
- Toys and activities
- Colouring and activity books with a pack of coloured pencils
- I prefer pencils or crayons over felt pens as there is less chance of permanently marking furnishings at the hotel.
- Small collection of Lego
Is there anything I have left out?
Find more Family Packing Lists HERE