Packing hand luggage for the family on-board the flight is different than packing your suitcase.
Wear comfortable clothing and layer your clothes for climate changes both in the aircraft and the difference from home and your destination.
Think about how you are going to manage your child/children and hand luggage once you have checked in. Many airports do not offer hand luggage trolleys.
So what should you pack in your hand luggage with kids?
Tips for packing hand luggage with kids:
For Babies and Toddlers
- Nappies, wipes (lots and for all ages), disposable change mats, nappy sacks, spare clothes (for all ages).
- Consider a lightweight stroller for your trip that can be stored in the cabin luggage. Check with the individual airline whether this permitted.
- Water, milk, formula, dummies, and snacks your child likes.
- There is only limited space in the cabin crew areas so don’t expect cabin crew to keep bottles and food cold.
- Don’t take it for granted that the child’s meal provided will be to your child’s liking.
For All Children
- Gifts that are wrapped
- These only need to be cheap small items eg. small cars, pencils, note books, puzzle books, games, reading book/magazine. Don’t choose items with too many pieces or that are too noisy (remember other passengers).
- Gift wrapping adds to the fun and in very small children is another item to play with and keep them occupied.
- Food. Take plenty of their favourite healthy snacks.
- Your child may not necessarily wan to eat at the time food is served or may not like what is offered. I find it best to be prepared with loads of healthy snacks that my child likes.
- Favourite comfort toy!! This is much needed to help them sleep and offers comfort when they anxious.
- Be prepared for delays and take extras of everything
For older children and tweens:
- Get them their own special on-board bag to fill with their own special items that they are then responsible.
- Mp3 players, hand held electronic games and DVD players may all want to be considered.
Check smart traveller for the latest regulations for carry on luggage. Also check the airport websites that you will be travelling through.
For all my Flying with Kids Tips (baby, toddler and child) START HERE.