It’s not something any parent really wants to do. But sometimes you just have to.
Send the kids … flying … alone … without you.
It’s scary for you. It’s scary for them. And even a bit scary for the trusted person collecting them at the other end.
So let’s look at some tips to help ease that anxiety for all of you.
Tips for Kids Flying Alone
- Check the airline’s charter on “unaccompanied minors” – that’s the industry term.
- Ensure you are happy with their procedures before you book their flight ticket.
- Explain to your child exactly what will happen during each stage of the flight.
- At check-in your child may be given some form of identification to be worn.
- During the flight they will have a designated flight attendant to help them – but also remind your child, the flight attendant has lots of other passengers as well.
- When the flight lands they will be last off the flight and the flight attendant will take them to either the person collecting them or another ground staff member.
- The adult collecting your child will have to sign papers and show identification.
- Create a contingency plan if something goes wrong eg. “go to the people in uniform at the desk and ask for help, I have put my phone number here”.
- Explain the procedure to the person collecting your child.
- Let them know that your child will be last off the plane
- That they will have to sign that they have collected your child.
- Remember this procedures works for the return flight as well so you will have to show identification and sign to collect your child as well.
- Pack your child’s bag with them and their carry-on hand-luggage so they know what snacks and activities they have. Also include your contact details in the bag – tell your child where they are.
- Finally remind the person collecting your child AND yourself not to get annoyed with the formalities.
All these procedures are in place to keep your child as safe as possible at the airport and during the flight.
If you want more tips for flying with kids click HERE.
Or if you want more packing lists click HERE.