When you are travelling as a family you end up having to eat out alot! So before you head off on that family holiday have a think about:
Whether to avoid eating in restaurants or do YOU need tips to get you through a meal at the restaurant.
Hints to avoid eating in restaurants with children:
- If you are staying in a self contained apartment this is a great way of keeping the food costs down. You can eat breakfast before heading out for the day, have snacks available and prepare lunch before you get going. All you need to do is find the local supermarket and buy fresh food. Stock up on bread, milk, fruits, yoghurt, and treats.
- Always take snacks out with you for the day, bring some favourites from home.
- If you have a baby or young toddler always bring some baby food from home. Although its not as good as home cooked food it is better than a constant diet of hot chips.
- Have a picnic in the park. Take a prepared lunch or stop at a deli or bakery and grab something along the way. The park is great you get to sit down and relax (in theory) while the kids can run off energy and play.
Tips for eating out with kids in restaurants:
- Find one that has a child’s menu. If the staff turn their noses up at you for the request this is not the restaurant for you.
- Take some colouring in and some small toys.
- Order some bread or children’s meals quickly, kids get agitated when they are hungry. Then you can take a bit more time with your meals.
- Remember this is not a romantic meal for two. You are a family and the same shenanigans that go on at home are likely to go on when you are out.
Remember when you travel with or without children:
- Be careful in foreign countries with fresh vegetables and salad. The fruit and vegetables may be washed in tap water.
- Always drink bottled water if you are not in your home town.